Friday, February 29, 2008

Transformed Mexican Yum


We do our budget monthly so here we are at the end of the month and there are only certain things that can be made with the bits of produce and fresh food we have left. Our freezer is always stocked with meat so yesterday I put out some chicken breasts to thaw and had on my mind to make Cooking Lights Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki Sauce which is so yummy. But as the day went on theweather began to change and lo and behold, snow started to fall. My tastes tend to be dictated by the weather adn now I wanted something a little less summery...if that makes any sense.

With two options going in my head, I called Alex for his opinion. After calling the hubby and asking him mexican or italian, mexican it was and dinner was chosen. I came up with this recipe on my own and it did not dissapoint. Using things in the the pantry, dinner was on the table in 30 minutes flat.



The dish of the night....

Spicy Cornmeal Crusted Chicken with Cilantro Rice and Jalapeno Chutney!

Here is the recipe:

Spicy Cornmeal Crusted Chicken

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 C cornmeal (I used Quaker)
2 tablespoons cheddar cheese
1 egg white

1. Set up a dredging area...put egg white in one bowl, while putting a plate or bowl out for the cornmeal mixture.
2. Place all dry ingredients with the cheese in food processor, process until all are uniform in size.
3. Place crumbs on plate and dredge chicken in egg whites followed by a dredging in the cornmeal mixture.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saute pan and place coated chicken in the pan over medium heat, cook for about 5 minutes on each side.

Cilantro Rice

Follow the recipe of your choice for white rice, (I used uncle ben's long grain)
Add 1 T lime juice and 1 T salt to the water with teh rice.
When done cooking stir in 1 T cilantro, minced, with lime juice and salt to taste.

Jalapeno Chutney

1/4 red onion
2 T jalapenos
6 cherry tomatoes
1 T cilantro

Place all ingredients in the food processor, process so all is chopped but still chunky.

Place rice on plate, top with a piece of chicken and dollop chutney atop the chicken. Garnish with lettuce, more cheese, sour cream and salsa to taste!

It's so yummy, even hubby was shocked I came up with it on my own!

No comments: