Saturday, February 23, 2008

Chocolate and Peanut Butter...purely delightful!



This weekend was finally one where the hubby and I did not have any plans. To me that is great, a chance to catch up on cleaning, make my plans as I go, and time for baking. This past week I have been truly enthralled with the enticing recipes on Picky Palate. If you have not visited this site before, do not wait. It is full of great recipes that are quick, easy and look wonderful.

We needed a treat around here and after giving hubby a choice, these Peanut Butter Cup Brownies won out. Though the original recipe is on Picky Palate's site, I made a few changes and mine is below. I often have brownie and cake mixes on hand for the times you just need something quick, that and I have not yet found the right brownie recipe for me to throw away the box. (I grew up on box mix brownies, so maybe that contributes to it!)

When using box mixes I often split them in two since it's usually just me and the hubby. I just scoop equal amounts of mix into the bowl and a ziplock bag to save for later. So for this recipe, I cut it in half and made it in an 8" pan.

These are gooey, yummy, chocolate, peanut buttery goodness in a pan!

Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake Brownies

1/2 box of the brownie mix of choice (9x13 size)
4 oz softened cream cheese
1/4 Cup creamy peanut butter
2 T sugar
1/2 egg (I used 1 1/2 T egg substitute)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 Cups mini marshmallows (I used large marshmallows cut up)
6 regular size Reeses Peanut Butter cups, cut into cubes
1/2 Cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place brownie mix and ingredients on back of box as directed (eggs, oil, water) into a large mixing bowl. Mix until combined and pour into a greased 8 inch baking dish. In a separate bowl mix together the cream cheese, peanut butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth. Drop by tablespoonfuls evenly over the brownie batter. Take a knife or toothpick and swirl the cheese mixture through the brownie batter. Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through.

2. Once brownies are just about cooked, with about 2 minutes left, sprinkle marshmallows, Reeses cups and chocolate chips over brownies. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until marshmallows are puffed slightly. Remove and cool completely before cutting.

3. Once cool, use a plastic knife to cut into squares for an easy non stick cut. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Purely delightful is right! These look soooooo good!