Monday, March 16, 2009

From our home to yours!


I'm back! Sorry for the hiatus, we've had our time filled with organizing, packing, and moving! Now that we are finally settled, the dinners, desserts, and dining can resume! With things put away and the kitchen clean, there is only one thing to do...step back, enjoy, and then get it dirty, baking and cooking up a storm.

Lately my hubby has been in the mood for some home cooking...in our house that relates to "make some of the recipes my mom makes, the ones from my childhood!" Good thing that right after we were married I went to his mother with pen in hand to copy down all of the hubby's family favorites. On the top of his list...Barbecues.

What amazes me is that hubby and I grew up in regionally the same area of Wisconsin. We did not call this dish Barbecue, but instead sloppy joes. Unfortunately, no matter who makes them, sloppy joes are just one thing I don't like...ever...please don't serve one to me unless I have a large glass of water to help it down...but what does the hubs love...Barbeques, oh the irony.

So up today are Brogle Barbecues...Grandma Emma's recipe...best served on the cheapest bun you can find (according to the hubs)

Barbecues (best part..just use what you have on hand, they're very adaptable)

1/2 onion diced
1 1/2 stalks of celery diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 green pepper diced
1 pound of ground beef
1-2 cups of Ketchup
dash of red pepper (cayenne)
dash of paprika

1. Brown onion in 1T butter.
2. Add hamburger and brown, season with salt and pepper
3. Add tomatoes, ketchup, celery and green pepper. (add more ketchup to desired consistency)
4. Sprinkle red pepepr and paprika on top, cover and let simmer of 1/2 hour to an hour.

No comments: