Monday, May 4, 2009

Zucchini Parmesan Loaf


When I was back visiting my mother, I spent hours paging through all of her old Everyday Food magazines...I mean it was really bad, they kept my attention for far longer than I would like to admit. Considering she still has the first magazine ever, that was um...about 5 years ago. Yeah, apparantly I have too much time on my hands:)

But the best thing about all that time spent, is that I now have a list of about 100 recipes that I would love to make and looked delicious. One in particular that looked good was this zucchini parmesan quick bread. I know it sounds a little odd, but the result is a tangy, savory, and delicious quick bread that pairs perfectly with soup, stew, and anything in which dipping is allowed!

I didn't need to change anything in the recipe, but feel free to add and subtract as you see fit~

Zucchini Parmesan Loaf

Serves 8

  • 1/3 cup olive oil, plus more for pan
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 4 ounces)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1/2 pound (about 1 medium) zucchini, coarsely grated

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan (6-cup capacity) with oil; dust with flour, and tap out excess.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk oil, milk, and eggs. In a large bowl, whisk flour, Parmesan, baking powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; mix in zucchini, then egg mixture until just moistened (batter will be very thick, like biscuit dough).
  3. Transfer batter to prepared pan; press in gently. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 60 to 70 minutes (tent with foil if loaf starts to brown too quickly). Cool 15 minutes in pan; turn out loaf onto a rack to cool completely.
(courtesy of Everyday Food)

No comments: