Every month I look forward to all my food magazines to come in the mail. But there is one on my mind that always makes my heart skip a beat and that is Martha Stewart's Everyday Food. I have found that these recipes use ingredients we usually have in the pantry and take around 30 minutes, perfect for any weeknight!
We happen to love most things coconut, and especially seven layer bars. They are oh, so delicious, and usually do not stand a chance in being thrown out for remaining too long on the counter. That's right, most things if we don't eat them in a couple of days or so, either get tossed in the freezer or right into the trash. We are not stock-pilers:0 and besides, I probably would have given the thought to giving them away, but who in their right mind is going to enjoy a stale and more than day old treat...i mean that's just cruel:)
But these guys were delicious, especially with the addition of butterscotch chips. I wouldn't recommend making them without, because everything is better with a little more chip, and believe me not a chip found the garbage!
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 12 graham crackers
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light-brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread pecans and coconut on baking sheet; bake until golden, 5 minutes. Cool; toss with chocolate chips.
- Line a 10-by-15-inch rimmed baking sheet with foil. Break graham crackers in half; fit in pan in single layer.
- In saucepan, whisk butter and sugar over medium heat until smooth; spread over crackers.
- Bake until bubbly, 10 minutes. Sprinkle with nut topping; press gently. Cool; break into pieces.