Sunday, April 13, 2008

Donuts...so incredibly delicious!




Lately I have seen so many posts for donuts on other peoples blogs.  I don't love donuts and I don't hate them.  Once and awhile I have a craving and give in for usually, a chocolate raised donut.  Knowing I would never probably fry my own donuts at our house,  I just don't fry, so the only thing I could think of was baking donuts.  Now I have seen donut pans out there and had one on my Christmas list, but considering the holiday has come and gone and the donut pan is not in the cupboard, my options were limited.  That is until I happened upon the post by the Pioneer Woman.  This woman is incredible and her recipes all look so darn good.  While perusing her blog I happened upon this...


DONUT MUFFINS!  

She calls them french breakfast puffs, but they are donuts.  Perfect...they are small especially when you make them in a mini muffin pan like I did (then they are like mini donuts) which means you can eat as many as you want:) (like I did for breakfast on Saturday)  I cut the recipe in half and it made 24 mini muffins.

Try them and you will see these are just like donut holes but better!  Enjoy!


Cinnamon Donuts
(yields 12 muffins or 48 mini muffins)

3 Cups Flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 Cup Sugar
2/3 C shortening
2 eggs
1 cup milk 
1 1/2 C sugar
3 teaspoons Cinnamon
2 Sticks butter (I used 6 T)

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease 12 muffin cups (I made mini muffins).
-Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.  Set aside.
-In a different bowl cream together 1 C sugar and shortening, then add eggs and mix.  Add flour and milk alternately to creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.  
-Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.  Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
-In a bowl melt 2 sticks butter.  In a separate bowl combine remaining sugar and cinnamon.  Dip baked muffins in butter, coating thoroughly, then coat with cinnamon-sugar mixture.

-recipe adapted from the pioneer woman

No comments: