Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Demerera Sugar, who knew!


Well I just felt like baking today. Nothing really struck my fancy, except that I knew whatever I made would have to include peanut butter and chocolate. As someone who very seldom has cravings, this was one craving that was not going away. I had made some Rice Krispie topped Brownie Marshmallow Bars the other day, well I threw them away finally because they were just too addicting and Alex did not like them. One look at the marshmallows and his nose turned up. So I wanted to be a loving wife and make something he would enjoy, even though his sweet tooth is nothing like mine.

After seeing this recipe with rave reviews everywhere I knew I would have to try it. With some demerara sugar in the pantry (how it got there, who knows!) I started baking. The recipe turned out okay, but a little disappointing because they were not show stopping. Not a waste of demerara, I just think my hopes were a little high for this one!

Here is the recipe for the brownies/bars:
Demerara Topped Peanut Butter Brownies

1 cup peanut butter -- not natural PB
1/2 cup butter -- at room temperature
2 1/2 cup Demerara Washed Raw Sugar
3 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips or chunks, to taste
4 tablespoons Demerara Washed Raw Sugar -- for topping

Preheat oven to 350.

Line a 9x13 pan with release foil or grease the pan.

Cream peanut butter, butter, and sugar until light in color. Add eggs and blend to combine. Add vanilla and blend well.

In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, soda, and salt. Add to peanut butter mixture and blend until just combined. Stir in chips, if using.

Scoop batter into prepared pan and smooth it out. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons demerara over the top. Bake 28-30 minutes. Brownies will sink slightly in the center while cooling. Cool completely before cutting.

No comments: